[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

DTR-1 TalkLetter #3

*                                                                       *
*             Here is the next installment of DTR-1 TalkLetter          *
*                       Edition #3 Vol #1. (1994)                       *
*                                                                       *
*         Send comments to dar110@psuvm.psu.edu  DavidR and Friends     *
*                                                                       *

|   To our friends:                                                      |
|       Melvin, David, Phil, Jay and Paolo (among others)                |

IMPORTANT NOTICE:

If you expect to see this TalkLetter continue, I believe it would be in
our best interest if we share its production: that is to say, we each
volunteer to put out an edition or two.  This way we can get a different
point of view and make TalkLetter live up to its name by getting news
directly from our readers mouth (fingers).  You are free to use whatever
format you like!  Your TalkLetter could simply be an article on your
favorite subject of your DTR-1.  It would be appreciated if you shared
comments expressed in E-Mail messages to round things off.

This can work to eliminate missing future editions of TalkLetter, since
my time may not be available in the future, and it would provide a rich
ground for a more professional approach by those who can prodive it!

Starting with this addition is the following important announcment:

All articles/postings and EMail notes received to date are to be
considered material for use in the DTR-1 TalkLetter, this means that I
may reprint items from these sources in this and future DTR-1 TalkLetters
(if indeed there are to be) UNLESS you specifically state that you do
not wish to have your comments/articles to be re-printed, or at least
credited with authorship.

Since I have seen no one post a UseNet article (at least not in
Comp.Sys.Laptops) using the TalkLetter catch-word, I assume no one
feels comfortable carrying-the-torch.  I strongly recommend this be
done, since I may not wish to continue doing this task alone.

For the subject of your message, use something like this:

[DTR-1] TalkLetter: Article_Name

The [] above means you may drop the formal DTR-1 is you wish.

One appropriate article did arrive in my EMail, and it appears below.
Note that I have tried to maintain as much of the original wording as
possible.

DISCLAIMER:  This article is reprinted for informational sake only.
             DO NOT ATTEMPT this or any other related experimentation
             unless you feel absolutely QUALIFIED to do so; and then
             all reasonable precautions are expected to be exercised!

DavidR and the individual providing the original article will NOT be held
responsible for your actions.

This was the only article to be submitted from the last TalkLetter to
appear in 'Comp.Sys.Laptops'

[Editor Note: I have cleaned up some minor typos in this article; ]
[             content unaffected.                                 ]

   Date: Sun, 16 Oct 94
   From: mlzwille@nyx10.cs.du.edu (Melvin Zwillenberg)

I had some ideas about longer time on battery power.

Looking at the DTR-1 battery pack, it is clear that it consists of 6 "AA"
size NiMH cells which total 7.4 Volts.

However, the a.c. dapter gives 12 volts, so the DTR-1 must drop the voltage
from 12V to 7.4V or so.  Thus, a 12VDC inpu to the a.c. adapter jack on the
DTR-1 should work fine to recharge the NiMH pack or run the computer
(as long as the NiMH pack is in place to prevent overvoltage.)

The capacity of NiMH AA cells (from various catalogs) is about 1000 mAH.
Since it runs the DTR-1 for 1.5-2 hours, the current drain must be
500-667 mA.

I put together an external battery pack from an 8-AA battery holder,
a 2 Amp. 50 P.I.V. diode to prevent reverse current flow, some wire and a
plug (5.0 mm O.D., 2.5 mm. i.d.) which I got at Radio Shack.
Since AA alkaline cells have a capacity of 1500 mAH, this should run
the computer for 50% longer than the built-in pack, or 2.25-3 hr.

[ Editors Note: I get two hours consistantly with the batteries       ]
[               originally supplied.  THEORETICALLY Mel is suggesting ]
[               I would get 4 to 5 hours operating time.              ]
[                                                                     ]
[  Mel makes an interesting point about using this as a means of      ]
[  operating the DTR-1 in an emergency situation - actual performance ]
[  yet to be evaluated.  Anyone trying these tests on a QUALIFIED     ]
[  level should feel free to send me EMail with as much technical     ]
[  detail and specifics as possible.  Thank you.                      ]
[                                                                     ]
[  Again, do NOT try any of this unless you feel qualified to handle  ]
[  the consequences.                                                  ]

I tested it with ordinary alkaline AA cells, and it seemed to work fine,
the computer ran O.K. and with power switch off, the "power" L.E.D. blinked,
indicating that the NiMH pack was being charged.

I haven't tested to find the actual battery life yet.

Of course, using disposable alkaline cells would be very expensive (except
for emergencies when no a.c. outlet is available. However the new RENEWAL
rechargeable alkalines can be used 10-25 times, and change these economics.
Also, the use of "D" size alkalines (or RENEWALS) with a capacity of 8000 mAH
would multiply life by an additional factor of over 5, giving at least 11
hours use, plus the capacity of the internal NiMH pack.

Also, I've seen surplus 12V NiCad and sealed lead-acid (Gates cell)
packs for sale at $10. for a 2000 mAH pack and $12.50 for a 2500 mAH
pack, and am considering adapting one of these.

All these alternatives look considerably cheaper, if more
bulky, than Dauphin's 8-hr. pack.

Mel

* * * End of Article * * *

Again, this was the only article to be submitted for this installment
of DTR-1 TalkLetter.

In other areas:

o  Some users are having difficulty getting the PenMouse to operate
   correctly with DOS applications.  The mouse arrow appears to be
   an inch or so from the spot the PenMouse is pointing.  If you have
   the solution to this problem please drop me an EMail note.

o  I have discovered that BOTH the PenMouse and a table top 3-button
   mouse can be used SIMULTANEOUSLY!  It sure impresses poeple who have
   never seen an IBM running two mice simultaneously!  Also, it gave us
   the idea of a whole new line of GAMES and Applications which use
   TWO Mice for fun and challenging play!

o  To my knowledge the internal 2400 Data/9600 Fax Modem does _NOT_
   have MNP support whatsoever!
   Anyone more qualified to provide specifics please EMail me.

o  Some DOS software do NOT properly configure themselves to the
   LCD screens "256-color-support" and will stick you at 16 color
   VGA mode with no hope in site.  Windows states its utilizing
   256-color mode (and from I can see it is!), so what can be done
   to help us properly convince DOS applications of the 256-color
   support of the LCD screen.
   (* The screen uses 64 shades of grey to mimic 256-colors. *)

o  Does anyone know of a way to silence or greatly reduce the speaker
   of the internal modem.  Using it late at night makes for a lot of
   noise dialing into local BBSes.   I'd like to permanently lower
   the sound from the modem!

o  Some people have thrown away the complete pre-configured DOS and
   Windows configuration that came shipped with their DTR-1, and have
   installed totally different operating systems and applications.
   PLEASE write me about your experiences, and be as specific as
   possible;  I'd like to see one or more articles on these topics
   covered in some depth.  Thank you.

Here's a breif run-down of what was to be found relating to DTR-1:

Here is the first, perhaps only, publication of those who have had
something to say about the Dauphin DTR-1; also note there are a few
other items added for interest.

------------------------------  EMail Notes  -----------------------------

v16@dec5102.aarhues.dk (Lars Karlslund)  Wed, 28 Sep 1994 14:00:44 GMT
                                         Dauphin DTR-!

Melz@cris.com                            Wed, 28 Sep 94 15:15:26 EDT
                                         Re: Upcoming Articles: DTR-1 TalkLette

"Lars Karlslund" <v16@dec5102.aarhues.dk>      Thu, 29 Sep 94 10:09:11 +0000
                                               Re: Dauphin DTR-!

melz@cris.com (Mzwillenberg)           Thu, 29 Sep 94 12:15:24 EDT
                                       Re: Upcoming Articles: DTR-1 TalkLetter

mlzwille@nyx10.cs.du.edu (Melvin Zwillenberg)  Sun, 9 Oct 94 09:54:31 MDT
                                               Re: dtr-1 responces

mlzwille@nyx10.cs.du.edu (Melvin Zwillenberg)  Sun, 16 Oct 94 17:54:27 MDT
                                               Re: dtr-1 responces

Youness EL ANDALOUSSI <elandm@rpi.edu>   Tue, 18 Oct 1994 01:43:02 -0400
                                         Dauphin DTR1

------------------------------ UseNet Groups -----------------------------

David Raydo <DAR110@psuvm.psu.edu>       Wed, 14 Sep 1994 21:22:19 EDT
                  comp.sys.laptops       dauphin DTR-1  (introduction)

rogerf@microsoft.com (Roger Felts)       Mon, 26 Sep 1994 15:20:15 GMT
                  comp.sys.laptops       Re: DAUPHIN DTR-1 - Questions.

rogerf@microsoft.com (Roger Felts)       Tue, 27 Sep 1994 16:36:03 GMT
                  comp.sys.laptops       Re: DAUPHIN DTR-1 - Questions.

David Raydo <DAR110@psuvm.psu.edu>       Tue, 27 Sep 1994 20:14:03 EDT
                  comp.sys.laptops       Upcoming Articles: DTR-1 TalkLetter

agood@netcom.com (Aaron J. Good)         Wed, 28 Sep 1994 16:06:16 GMT
                  comp.sys.laptops       Re: DAUPHIN DTR-1 - Questions.

petzoldt@TUDURZ.urz.tu-dresden.de (Thomas Petzoldt Hydrobiologie)
 comp.sys.laptops  29 Sep 94 09:06:21 GMT  Re: NIMH battery "memory" concerns

mlzwille@nyx10.cs.du.edu (Melvin Zwillenberg)  29 Sep 1994 15:28:31 -0600
comp.sys.laptops,comp.sys.palmtops,c
                                DTR-1 a.c. adapter output voltage & polarity?

kempf@Eng.Sun.COM (James Kempf)          29 Sep 1994 16:57:19 GMT
 comp.windows.x,comp.windows.x.motif
                             Unix/X Handwriting Recognition API Now Available

jscott@ecst.csuchico.edu (John A. Scott)      5 Oct 1994 15:47:00 GMT
                  comp.sys.laptops            Windows for Pen upgradable?

ajr@eng.cam.ac.uk (Tony Robinson)        07 Oct 1994 18:19:22 GMT
                  comp.sys.laptops       Re: Best laptop for Linux?

robinson@jetsun.eng.sun.com (David Robinson)  11 Oct 1994 01:55:49 GMT
    comp.sys.laptops,comp.dcom.modems,sc
                                  Re: Digital Phone Lines Spell D-A-N-G-E-R

awt001@acad.drake.edu                    12 Oct 94 16:43:24 CST
                  comp.sys.laptops       Dauphin DTR-1 Questions.

jay@earthlink.net (Jay Vaughan)          12 Oct 1994 22:18:15 GMT
                  comp.sys.laptops       Re: Dauphin DTR-1 Questions.

mikes@interaccess.com (Michael R. Stevens)    Thu, 13 Oct 1994 13:40:54
                  comp.sys.laptops            Re: Dauphin DTR-1 Questions.

ycl6@konichiwa.cc.columbia.edu (Yeechang Lee) 13 Oct 1994 14:19:21 GMT
                  comp.sys.laptops            Re: Dauphin DTR-1 Questions.

corff@zedat.fu-berlin.de (Oliver Corff)  Sat, 15 Oct 1994 21:44:49 GMT
                  comp.sys.laptops       Help with VGA font needed

David Raydo <DAR110@psuvm.psu.edu>       Mon, 17 Oct 1994 01:47:08 EDT
                  comp.sys.laptops       Needed: GIF of DTR-1  (still do!)

Again, all comments should to directed to DavidR && Friends,
  dar110@PsuVm.Psu.Edu  thank you.