[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Linux on a DTR-1 : So far, so good.

I have so far managed to install Linux 1.0.8 successfully on my DTR-1.
The configuration of my DTR-1 is as follows:

6 megs RAM
Internal fax/modem (2400 baud data/9600 baud fax)
Internal network card (NE2000 compatible)
40 Meg hard disk, partitioned as follows:

	32 Meg main partition   /dev/hda1
	8 Meg swap space	/dev/hda2

I took the Slackware distribution of Linux from the June 1994 Walnut
Creek CD-ROM - "Toolkit for Linux".  This is a snapshot of the sunsite
copy of Slackware v1.0.8, circa June.  This was simpler and more
accessible than obtaining the absolute latest copy of the Slackware
distribution.

So far there have been no glitches whatsoever -- apart from the
diminishing disk space (currently 80% full).

Note that I do not intend to install X windows on this system -- I'm
purely setting it up for it's networking capabilities.  I have so far
installed the following packages:

BASE System (disk set A)
Basic Apps  (disk set AP)
Dev system  (disk set D)

I am yet to install networking, as it got too late, though I will
probably do this tomorrow.  First I need to prune down my current
installation and free up at least 10 megs of disk space for my needs,
however I do not foresee this as being very difficult at all.

I intend to use this machine as a very portable network connectivity
system -- i.e. be able to take it to a client site running a TCP/IP
network, plug it in and have 8 virtual consoles for my purposes, as well
as the rest of the networking tools such as ftp, ping, etc.

Also, it'll be used as a minimal development system for networking
products, thus I need the Dev option installed.

I have no use for X on this machine -- not enough disk space or memory
for it to be effective.  It's a nice wish, but it's just not real,
although I do hope to hear from someone that's taken the challenge and
gotten it operational -- including leaving enough disk space for some
X apps, etc...

Still to solve are the issues dealing with the shared interrupt line on
the serial and modem ports, and how to turn on the network card from
within Linux.  There's probably going to need to be some kernel hacking
to issue the correct code to switch on the network card prior to loading
any networking drivers, though this is unverified at this point.

As for the serial ports, I'm abandoning any use of the internal 2400 baud
modem, and would like to just use the serial port for connection to an
external battery powered portable 14.4k modem.  The plan is to run
SLIP/PPP, so if you're interested stay tuned.

All in all, if this machine turns into what I want it to (a very portable
internetworking tool) it was well worth the $600 I spent on it!

Feel free to ask questions -- however, your question MUST have the key
words "DTR1 and Linux" in the subject line in order to receive any
immediate attention.  I've set up e-mail filters in Eudora to make this
occur, as I receive well over 100 mail messages a day from various
sources on the Internet.

j.
|Jay Vaughan                 > jay@phxmedia.com                              |
|Director                    > http://www.earthlink.net/Jay/home.html [temp] |
|Phoenix Media Labs          > http://phxmedia.com                    [soon] |
|     Watch for the revolutionary new album "PHOENIX: The Way" mid 1995.     |